Thursday, February 01, 2007

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man


Marcel Proust.
Perhaps not a handsome man, but he has a certain je ne sais pas. This is a painting of him, not a photograph. He looks very natty, doesn't he? Solemn, but with a hint of a smile or a gleam in his eye. My current reading is the first time I've seen the humor except in the Verdurin's dining room which is practically farce.

He certainly looks the man about town, the boulevardier, the flaneur. Why do the French have all the good words, like louche?

English is good, too. We have brood and founder, both of which have multiple interesting definitions. The English have Stonehenge.

But I digress.


I will be traveling, anon, and so this will be the last post for ten days or so.

Wish me bon voyage.

Odette

No comments: