Monday, March 12, 2007

Proust and Food

Some quotes I found.

Proust, Marcel Quotes
"Bourbon does for me what the piece of cake did for Proust."Walker Percy (1916-1990)


"In the light of what Proust wrote with so mild a stimulus, it is the world's loss that he did not have a heartier appetite. On a dozen Gardiner's Island oysters, a bowl of clam chowder, a peck of steamers, some bay scallops, three sauteed soft-shelled crabs, a few ears of fresh picked corn, a thin swordfish steak of generous area, a pair of lobsters, and a Long Island Duck, he might have written a masterpiece."A.J. Liebling

I'm chronicling all the references I found to food, and there are more than Walker Percy or A.J. Liebling imagined. I am interested in the Verdurin's dinner parties. Will the narrator mention the menu? Good stuff coming up.

Monet had the perfect life in his later years. A beautiful kitchen and dining room, a fantastic gardens, and many friends who came to visit ON HIS SCHEDULE. The whole household ran on his schedule, even more so than Marcel's Aunt Leonie. It's hard for me to imagine anything running on MY schedule. Women accommodate others. So be it.

Odette

No comments: