Friday, March 05, 2010

All Things Proust, Both Large and Small

I found a web site that gives Proustian facts in a nutshell.  The brief, most unProustian of answers about the great man.  I am amused.  


Here is the link. 


http://answers.encyclopedia.com/question/marcel-proust-jean-santeuil-296239.html


I have been too busy writing and preparing and delivering a Toastmaster's speech to read anything except the daily papers and The New Yorker.  One of these days I'll get caught up. 


Seeing a new play in Boston tonight.  Last night we went to a New England Pen event at Upstairs at the Square.  Harvard Square, of course.  In a moment of Proustian recollection, my Significant Other and I  were discussing how the square had changed since our early years in Boston, and I thought, also, of the changes to Central Square and Kendall Square  (my old stomping grounds).  All three squares would be nearly unrecognizable to anyone coming from the past. 


The past weighs heavily, like the lead x-ray apron. 


Odette

3 comments:

Michael Leddy said...

I hope that India Pavilion is still in Central Square. Please, tell me it is!

Marie Cloutier said...

I'm glad you got a chance to kick around Cambridge- it's a cool town, even if it has changed a lot. :-)Sounds like a nice evening out :-)

Nick said...

Been reading Proust for about 3 years--most days just a few pages. This BBC program inspired me to pick up the pace--now about 2/3 done:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00548wx

Nick in Fresno, Ca.